What Does Community Mean to You?
Community. What does that mean to you when you hear that word? Sadly, most of my life it has just meant a geographical location in which people live. It’s only been in the last few years that I’m beginning to experience it on another level. I may never understand it completely, but I sure do have a different point of view on the subject.
I have a couple things going against me when it comes to people. I tend to be a loner. I struggle with asking for help of any kind. It’s difficult for me to let anyone into my heart past that first layer. Maybe that’s my introvert tenancies, I don’t know. Maybe it’s from past scars. Whatever the case may be, I am humbled, blessed, blown away and so deeply thankful for the family God has given us.
You see we aren’t related by physical blood, no we’re related by the blood of Jesus. We are siblings. Children of the King of Kings. I’m beyond even being able to put words to how grateful I am at the love we’ve experienced from our Connection Group this week. You see, I was needing some help and didn’t want to ask for any. A couple of my friends offered and I reluctantly accepted. Not because I think their help is sub-par or not wanted or meets a certain standard. Not any of those things. In fact, I know firsthand how qualified they are to help me. It just boils down to pride probably. Maybe there’s a fear of being indebted to others. Or owing something I may not be able to repay. I don’t want to be a burden. Or a problem for others. Or considered weak because I can’t do it myself. Whew these are really hard things to admit.
I’m so thankful God uses these beautiful people in my life daily. These are my people. I don’t deserve them, but God has seen to it that we are community. And for that, I am truly blessed.
I want you to know, to top it off, not only did the two friends who offered their help show up, but our entire Connection Group showed up!
I’ve collaborated with a couple of my people on the subject of community and here’s our definition.
Community – A group of like-minded people with a similar vision striving for a common purpose doing life together.
What God has to say about Community
people sharing community spent time together in their homes not just at church
They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. Acts 2:46
People sharing community met regularly and encouraged one another
- And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25
People sharing community understand their different roles
- For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. Romans 12:4-5
People sharing community live lives of love
- And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Colossians 3:14
people sharing community understand how important unity is
- How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity! Psalm 33:1
People sharing community have the mind of Christ
- May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had. Romans 15:5
People sharing community care about one another
- Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 1 Peter 3:8
I want to encourage you if you're aren't connected to the community you find yourself in then you are just experiencing a geographical location. God has so much more for you if you'd allow Him to love you through others. If you'd allow Him to love others through you. It's community like you've never known and I highly recommend it!